• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

Do you have a comment, complaint or compliment about a health or social care service in Stockport?

“I want to make a comment, complaint or compliment”

Healthwatch Stockport is keen to hear your experiences of local health and social care services so that we can identify themes and trends regarding issues, however we are unable to deal with individual complaints.

This is your guide to feeding back your views to local service providers, whether you want to make a comment, complaint or compliment. At Healthwatch Stockport, we understand that the complaints process can be daunting and confusing. We hope that this information will make having your say as simple as possible. This information also includes a simple guide to raising issues about health & social care in Stockport.

“I want improvements but I don't want to complain”

You can provide suggestions for improvements directly to the organisation involved as they welcome all feedback. If you do not wish to feedback directly to the organisation, you can contact:

Healthwatch Stockport collect feedback from the public to identify trends and help to improve services. Call: 0161 974 0753 | Email: info@healthwatchstockport.co.uk | Visit: www.healthwatchstockport.co.uk

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) cannot respond to individual complaints, however they do collect feedback to help improve the services they regulate. Call: 03000 616 161 | Visit: www.cqc.org.uk |

“I want support in tackling my issue”

Stockport Advocacy is an independent organisation supporting patients and their carers wishing to pursue a formal complaint about their NHS treatment or care. Call: 0161 480 8979 | Visit: www.stockportadvocacy.org.uk

Your local MP can tackle issues on your behalf, however you should not contact your MP if you are intending to pursue the issue yourself as this can cause confusion and delay. You can find your local MP by contacting the House of Commons Information Office. Call: 020 7219 4272 | Visit: http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

“I want information & advice about a service”

Advocacy Casework Service 0161 4808979
An advocate is someone who supports an individual to voice their opinions or puts forward a case on someone else's behalf, such as making a complaint or to access health and care services. This means that you can receive help to communicate your needs, wishes and opinions if you have no one else to do so.

Targeted Prevention Alliance (TPA) 
0161 4741042

The Stockport Targeted Prevention Service provides early help and preventative support for a wide range of individuals or households who are aiming to improve their life circumstances for any reason related to their health, wellbeing or situation, such as, mental and/or physical illness, disability, old age and/or social circumstances.

The service will work with people to explore and develop individual solutions and support to self-manage, including:

  • Providing signposting information to help with further support
  • Building on positive aspects of a person’s life and circumstances
  • Encouragement of people who use the services to be resilient and independent
  • Work with individuals until they are in a more stable position and can cope better
  • Access to a range of expertise
  • Offering a service to any person struggling with independent living regardless of the reason for this

Call: 0161 474 1042 Email: stockporttpa@stockportflag.org.uk Drop in: 39 Chestergate, Stockport SK1 1LZ (Monday - Thursday, 9.30am-4.30pm; 9.30-4.00pm Friday)

Alliance for positive relationships (APR) 0161 4774271

APR is about preventing domestic abuse and looking at different methods to support families. This includes working with men, women and families who are involved in domestic abuse incidents. 

Wellbeing and Independence Network (WIN)
This new network of services will provide practical help to adults who would otherwise find it very difficult to organise the support they need to remain independent and well. This assistance is aimed specifically at older people, people with a wide range of disabilities or poor mobility, and their carers.

Wellbeing and Independence at Home 0161 4801211
Focusing on support in and around someone's home environment, this service is designed to enable people to continue to enjoy living independently and safely in their home. The service will also provide short-term practical support to people with assistance such as shopping, cleaning and small jobs in the home and garden.

Independent Living and Wellbeing in the Community 0161 4745946
This service will support people to take part in a wide variety of social, civic, leisure, learning, work or volunteering opportunities, where they would otherwise find it very difficult to get involved because of physical or emotional ill-health, a physical or sensory disability, or caring responsibilities.

Wellbeing and Independence through Community Transport 0161 4762812
The Community Transport Service will provide journeys for adults who are unable to use public transport to places such as hairdressers and care homes, for reasons which could include visiting family, social events, rehabilitative exercise, and shopping, in order to sustain people's independence as they get older.

To find out more about referring into these services, please contact them direct using the numbers listed or visit 


"I want to know who to go to with my complaint, comment or compliment"

This is your guide to raising issues about health & social care in Stockport. This information aims to explain how you can share your experience of using hospitals, GPs, dentists, opticians, care homes, community services, pharmacists or care received in the home. It also explains how you can make a comment, complaint or compliment about one of these services. Click on the image below to load our step-by-step guide to making a comment, complaint or compliment (1.58mb). 

Do you Have a Comment, Complaint or Compliment preview image


“I want more information about this guide”

Additional details to this guide were provided by Stockport Council, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust, NHS Stockport Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), North West Ambulance Service, Arriva Patient Transport Service, The Christie and Pennine Care NHS  Foundation Trust. The information in the guide is true and correct at time of going to print. 

For hard copies of this guide, please contact Healthwatch Stockport by clicking here.

Healthwatch England have worked with Citizens Advice to produce a series of guides to help you make a complaint or raise a concern. You can find out more about what's involved in making a complaint about a particular service and see what your next steps might be. There are tips and tools such as letter templates and other practical resources to support you to make an effective complaint. You can find out more about the guides on the Healthwatch England website.

Contact Us:

Healthwatch Stockport
Land o Cakes, 48 Middle Hillgate, Stockport SK1 3DL.

Tel: 0161 974 0753